The Science of Baby
We love continuously learning about babies and their unique skin needs.
That’s why we have published more research in this area than any other global skin care company over the last five years. Our research is being used to set the standards in baby care around the world. As a global healthcare company focused on skin health, we have strived to fill critical research gaps by helping to advance 90% of publications and peer -reviewed scientific literature on the understanding of baby skin.
There are no words to describe the feeling you get when you first gaze into your newborn's eyes.
Sight is among the last of your baby’s senses to fully develop, and babies’ eyes continue to develop even after birth!
- At birth, babies see only in black and white and shades of gray. After about four months they see in color.
- Newborns can only focus at a short distance, about 8 to 12 inches, which is the distance between your face and your baby's when you're cradling or feeding.
- During their first year, babies blink 2 to 5 times each minute while grownups blink 12 to 20 times each minute.
- Eye contact is part of the foundation for communication and social development.
You know it intuitively, and research has confirmed that routine touch and massage can lead to improved physiological, cognitive, emotional and social development
Your baby’s first emotional bonds are built from physical contact, and these serve as the foundation for emotional and intellectual development later in life.
Plus, it’s hard to resist that amazingly soft skin! Baby’s skin is much more delicate than your own.
- Skin acts as a protective barrier, the first line of defense against outside organisms, toxins, irritants and allergens.
- Baby's skin is thinner than adults, and may be more sensitive to irritants.
- Skin needs to remain properly hydrated to keep its barrier strong. Daily moisturising with lotion or oil can help maintain skin’s essential hydration.
Understanding what makes your baby's skin delicate and how best to protect it has been the focus of years of study at JOHNSON’S®. We design all of our baby products to support baby’s uniquely different and still developing skin. Look for the CLINICALLY PROVEN MILDNESS™ trademark, only from JOHNSON’S®, which lets you know you can trust this product for baby’s delicate skin.
Did you know your baby is able to smell before she’s even born? Scent is such an important sense because it is directly linked to and influences emotion and memory in the brain. Enjoyable and familiar scents have been shown to improve mood, calmness and alertness, and the scent of a mother can help reduce crying.
Ahhhh, sleep. There’s nothing like a good night’s sleep.
Our scientists worked with external experts, including Dr. Jodi Mindell from Saint Joseph's University and the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. Dr. Mindell is an internationally known, leading pediatric sleep expert, and we worked with her to develop a helpful solution to the bedtime blues.
Our 3-step before-bed routine has been proven to help babies fall asleep faster, stay asleep longer and reduce awakenings during the night.
Spend some quality time together. Whether you’re singing lullabies, reading a story, or talking about the day, this can help your baby wind down before lights out.
P.S. Mums who tried the routine for their baby also got better sleep and saw benefits for their own mood, including feeling less tense and less tired. Sounds good to us!