As you get ready for your baby's arrival, you may feel that you need to know everything there is to know about parenting. Try not to overload yourself with too much information — you will learn most while on the job! Here are some helpful reminders to get you ready to bring baby home.
Parenting classes can be very helpful for first-time parents. Find out about these classes from the hospital where you plan to have your baby, OB/GYN, midwife, friends and family.
There are different ways to give birth, like Lamaze and Bradley. Do some research and talk to your OB/GYN or midwife to decide which option is best for you and your baby.
Start looking for a paediatrician about 3 months before you’re due. Compile a list of candidates — ask for recommendations from friends, relatives, neighbours, coworkers with kids, your obstetrician, midwife or insurance company. If possible, schedule a prenatal consultation about 2 months before your due date.
Create an email group or telephone list to keep family and friends informed.
Pack your suitcase for the hospital. Remember to take along:
- Pyjamas and slippers
- Toiletries, including toothbrush and hairbrush. Don’t forget supplies for dad (perhaps even a change of clothes)
- Clothes for your return home: choose comfortable clothes you wore mid-pregnancy or later
- Clothes for your baby to wear when coming home: undershirt or one-piece suit, and an outfit with snap closures
- Receiving blanket (your local weather will determine if additional blankets are needed)
- Baby wipes
- Maternity pads
- Camera/video camera or the charger for your smartphone
- Nursing bra and nursing pads for breastfeeding mums
Make sure your baby’s car seat has been installed properly before you go to the hospital. Some hospitals will not allow you to take your baby home without a car seat. Your state’s Roads & Traffic Authority website will have a list of authorised restraint fitting stations.
Mums around the world look to JOHNSON’S® to care for their babies
We are committed to working with mums, healthcare experts and scientists to ensure our products continue achieving the highest JOHNSON’S® baby standards.
Our commitment to healthy babies goes beyond our products
We take great pride in our initiatives that help babies grow up in a healthy community and a healthier world.